GABB Today for August 2013
- GABB MONTHLY MEETING NEXT TUESDAY: Christopher C. Hanks, who teaches the entrepreneurship curriculum at the University of Georgia’s Terry College of Business, will speak to the GABB’s monthly meeting on Tuesday, Aug. 27. GABB’s monthly meetings are free and open to the public and are held at the South Terraces Conference Center, 115 Perimeter Center Place, Atlanta, GA, 30346. Networking begins at 9:45 a.m. with a free light breakfast before the group’s 10:30 a.m. meeting. Call Jeffery E. Merry at 770-534-6630 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- The GABB Fall Educational Conference, featuring two IBBA Classes, excellent instructors, and eight hours of GREC CE credit, will be held from 8:00 through 5:00 on Tuesday, Sept 24, at Atlanta REALTORS, 5784 Lake Forrest Drive, Atlanta GA 30328. John Willems from the Law Office of John Willems in Dallas, Texas, will teach Legal Issues in the M&A Process, on the highly collaborative process of guiding a business and its owners through an M&A transaction. Walt Lipski, co-founder of Capital Advice, LLc, an investment banking firm in Scottsdale, Arizona, will guide students through the Balance Sheet – A Uniquely Powerful Closing Tool.
- GABB’s ANNUAL HOLIDAY GALA is set for Maggiano’s on the evening of Thursday, December 5. All GABB members and affiliates may bring one guest. There will be no charge unless a person not signed up attends, or someone signs up and doesn’t show, in which case we will charge $25 per head for those not compliant. GABB does this to insure an accurate head count. We also ask each attendee to bring a new, unwrapped toy for our annual charity toy drive.
- A BROKER’S GUIDE TO GETTING AN SBA LOAN: SBA Lender Cheryl Beer, SVP of Cornerstone Bank in Sandy Springs, offers quick guidelines for business brokers who need to know what it takes to get an SBA loan approved. Her guidelines are on the GABB blog.
- KEEPING YOUR LISTING ‘LEGAL’: Did you obtain a corporate resolution when your seller signed your listing agreement? Do you know your commission can be at risk without that resolution? Most business brokers are so glad to get a signature on the listing agreement that we immediately start marketing the business. How do we know if the business owner is authorized to sell the business? He might not even own the business. To find out how GABB forms can help you avoid this pitfall, readt Nick Nicholson’s article on Certificates of Resolution.
- USING PRATT’S STATS TO SELL MORE BUSINESSES. GABB President Matt Slappey gave an excellent presentation at the July meeting on using Pratt’s States. GABB members have free access to Pratt’s Stats which can help sell more businesses by helping to price a business accurately. Read more about Pratt’s Stats on the GABB blog. Also, find a detailed report on using Pratt’s Stats for business valuations in the GABB website library.
To contribute items for future GABB Today emails, please contact Diane Loupe at email@example.com
Get all the benefits by joining GABB. Find out how.