GABB 2017 Fall Conference: Science of Negotiation & Number Crunching
Tuesday, Sept. 26, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Atlanta REALTORS® Center
Enjoy a day of professional training, earn up to six hours of professional education credits, and network with other business broker professionals. All for the low price of $99 for GABB members, or $149 for non-members. But, if you join GABB, you can attend the conference at the member price and enjoy membership through the end of 2018!
The courses will include:
Financial Analysis of Commercial Properties: All about number crunching
This course introduces commercial property financial analysis. It identifies the tangible benefits of investing in real estate and explains what investors want. Students will be introduced to investment analysis and terminology regarding income and expenses; comparison of investments on both a before-tax and after-tax basis. A summary of the key calculations such as capitalization, cash-on-cash, gross rent multiplies, equity rate of return, internal rate of return and financial management rate of return will be reviewed with hands-on applications by students. The impact of leveraging on the return will be reviewed.
Upon completion of the course, through though the uses of lecture and case studies, the student will be able to:
- Identify four advantages to investors of commercial property.
- Distinguish the difference between net operating income and cash flow.
- Recognize the components of investment analysis.
- Complete a case study to calculate before tax cash flow, after tax cash flow, deprecation and tax consequences.
- Grasp the importance of leverage.
- Compare seven property evaluation methods.
The Science of Negotiation
This course explains what negotiation is and identifies the basic principles of negotiation. The instructor will help students identify the tangible benefits of negotiation and understand distinct types of negotiating tactics. Students will be introduced to two types of negotiations and identify the key substance in a commercial negotiation. Skills and strategies for successful negotiation will be identified and explained focusing on critical concepts of a win-win negotiation. Using a case study, students will ascertain five steps of negotiation which include BATNA, Reservation Price and ZOPA. The importance of body language and personality types will be reviewed.
Upon completion of the course, through the use of lecture, case studies and group discussion the student will be able to
- Demonstrate an understanding of the basic principles of negotiation.
- Identify the benefits of negotiation.
- Distinguish negotiation tactics and how to handle them.
- Contrast two types of negotiations and identify the key substance of a commercial negotiation.
- Ascertain key negotiating skills and tips.
- Recognize key concepts of a win-win negotiation.
- Summarize key steps in negotiation and gain knowledge of BATNA, Reservation Price and ZOPA through the use of an actual case study.
Ann Cyphers, president of Cyphers Brokerage Associates, Inc., is a recognized leader in the Atlanta commercial real estate market. During her 30-year career, Ann has successfully negotiated and closed hundreds of leases for local and national clients in the Atlanta market. Ann has represented institutional owners and developers in the leasing and marketing of trophy office buildings in the Buckhead, Central Perimeter and Northwest submarkets.
Ann is a CCIM (Certified Commercial Investment Member), a designation held by only 6 percent of the estimated 125,000 commercial real estate practitioners nationwide. The CCIM is one of the most coveted and respected designations in the industry. CCIM members are recognized experts in the disciplines of commercial and investment real estate.
The Georgia Association of Business Brokers conference will be offered at the Atlanta REALTORS® Center, 5784 Lake Forrest Drive, Atlanta, GA 30328.
Breakfast will be provided by Kim Eells, Vice President and Business Development Officer for Government Guaranteed Lending at the BrandBank.
Corporate attorney Germaine Curtin, LLC, of Curtin Law will be the lunch sponsor.